Saturday 30 March 2013

Peanut Butter Oreo Sweet Rolls

You know that movie The Parent Trap? It's a Disney movie - pretty good one, too. Now, I think in the original with Hayley Mills - there is something about peanut butter and Oreo's except that's when she's like "no I don't want some you dummy, don't you get it - we're sisters..." but in the remake with Lindsay Lohan - they do eat the Oreo's with peanut butter. I liked both versions.


I had been wanting to make some Peanut Butter Oreo Sweet Rolls for sometime but I just didn't get around to it. Then, one day I finally made some White Chocolate Oreo Cookie Spread - blogged on my other site... and I used that to make the rolls. 

Honestly, they weren't as good as I hoped. I made two kinds - one topped with the plain White Chocolate Oreo Cookie Spread and one topped with the variation - Peanut Butter & White Chocolate Oreo Cookie Spread. I think I preferred the latter. 

But, to be honest... my tastes buds are way off. Ever since I got pregnant - sweet things just don't do it for me as much as salty and savory things. I'm way more into eating chips and salsa than sweet rolls. 

I did dream about donuts the other night - so it's probably not a permanent thing.

My friend tried them out along with me - and she really liked them. She's not pregnant - so her tastes buds aren't out of whack like mine. 

Here is what I did: 
For the dough:
In a mixing bowl, combine 3/4 cup boiling water + 1 1/2 Tablespoons peanut butter (chunky)  - mix well and then let cool to warm temperature. Mix in 1 egg, 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 3 cups HOT ROLL BASIC MIX and 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast. Put into bread maker on dough cycle and hit start. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours later - prepare the filling. Take dough out of bread maker, and punch down on lightly floured surface. Let rest 10 minutes. Then roll out into large rectangle. Spread with filling. Roll up and cut into 8-12 slices and place into prepared pan. I use a pie tin with a sheet of parchment paper (makes for really easy clean cup). Then let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size. (like the oven on the lowest setting - for example 50-C degrees.) Turn up oven to 175-C degrees and bake for 10-15 minutes - keeping an eye on it so it doesn't over bake. Not all ovens are the same - but mine seems to bake pretty quickly. Remove from oven with lightly toasted golden and springs back when poked. Top with spread while still warm.

Filling: 1 Tablespoon butter, room temperature blended with 1 Tablespoon chunky peanut butter. - might need to warm it up a bit to spread easily onto dough. The top with 1/4 cup brown sugar and generous sprinkle of cinnamon!

Topping: White Chocolate Oreo Cookie Spread OR Peanut Butter White Chocolate Oreo Cookie Spread!

Both recipes are in the first link. Or be creative and top it with something you have access to. I was thinking something simple like vanilla frosting with crushed up Oreo's blended into it. And if you want the peanut butter variety - just blend a couple tablespoons of peanut butter into the mix. That would taste really good - an American style vanilla frosting - like Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines - that stuff is a lot like European white chocolate sandwich spread.

I loved the look of the peanut butter pieces mixed into the dough.
Spread with peanut butter/butter mixture... then cinnamon and sugar.
Here they have been rolled up and cut, risen and are ready to bake.
See how I did it with the parchment paper -
that was the same sheet of parchment paper from the above photo -
I really don't like to clean up messes,
so the less mess I make while I go - the better.
Baked and frosted with each kind of spread... Again, I liked the Peanut Butter variety better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a comment - Greetings from Melissa - the Sweet Roll blogger :)