Tuesday 9 November 2010

Coco-nana-nut + Dulce de Leche Sweet Rolls


My one public follower, Lisa, suggested sweet rolls with banana and dulce de leche. Well, I aim to please. I made them.

Did I like them? Not really. I could like them eventually with a few changes I'm sure. You see, I didn't like the banana. I might like it better if the banana in the filling is made into some kind of pudding or custard. Because I like bananas in banana bread and I like bananas in general - I like bananas in ice cream - that is especially good... but hot bananas in these rolls was kind of weird to me. Also, the next day when the roll was tested at room temperature - the banana slices were a bit like - how do you say it - like when a banana is left out and browns a bit - they tasted like that - like baby food or something...

 Hey Lisa - when you had that spanish pastry... how was the banana cooked into it? Maybe I've presented it here in the wrong way. Some people like baked bananas - not me - not really. I loved the nuts - gave it the perfect crunchiness... I really liked the toasted coconut... Any suggestions on how to combine the banana in a good way - please feel free to comment. I did like the banana - butter glaze - that went with it quite well.

The Recipe for 12 rolls:

DOUGH
1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm light coconut milk
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup melted margarine or oil
3 cups BASIC ROLL MIX
additional flour, if needed

FILLING
1 to 2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoon fine white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 medium banana, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts (or macadamia's)


TOPPING
Prepared Dulce de Leche caramel jam


GLAZE
Combine 1 to 2 tablespoons melted butter with 1/4 medium banana, smashed with fork and 3/4 to 1 cup powdered sugar and blend together. Then add enough coconut milk to make smooth glaze.

ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS
chopped roasted hazelnuts
toasted shredded coconut


Step 1: Dissolve yeast in warm coconut milk.
Step 2: Blend in egg and melted margarine.
Step 3: Add BASIC ROLL MIX 1/2 cup at a time, blend well to make soft - not too sticky dough.
Step 4: Knead 6 to 8 minutes - adding additional flour if necessary.
Step 5: Butter bowl. Add dough ball, turn to butter top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise till doubled.
Step 6: Punch down. Roll out into rectangle. Spread with butter. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture and divide bananas over top. Add chopped roasted hazelnuts if you like it nutty. Roll up, seal seems and cut into 12 equal slices - about 1-inch each. Place on prepared baking sheet.
Step 7: Let rise again in warm place. Then make indentation with spoon and fill up with Dulce de Leche - about 1 heaping tablespoon in each roll.
Step 8: Bake 15 - 22 minutes in preheated oven (175C - hot air oven), till golden brown.
Step 9: Remove from oven and serve as is or if desired drizzle with Banana-butter glaze, toasted shredded coconut and chopped roasted hazelnuts.

~~Thanks for the suggestion Lisa. Visitors - be sure and check out Lisa's blog - she bakes cookies - sweet sugar cookies!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't quite work out, though they certainly look good. The pastry was what they call a pastel and a pastry crust was filled with the dulce de leche and bananas and fried. So, I guess the bananas were semi-cooked but not totally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we shall try frying them, too... the dulce de leche was an excellent suggestion!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a little surprise for you on my blog. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting a comment - Greetings from Melissa - the Sweet Roll blogger :)